expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Saturday, February 25, 2012

2011-12 All-Star Saturday Night: The Stars are Out--in Hollywood

I'm not going to lie, planning the NBA All-Star weekend festivities on the same weekend as the Oscars seems like a horrible idea to me. That's coming from a movie buff / sports fanatic, though. The NY Times seems to think their co-existing won't really be a problem. The problem is that the star-studded cast of Hollywood names that would ordinarily attend, won't be there. More notably, the Saturday Night festivities are lacking more big names than usual. Either way, since Twitter will prevent any chance of avoiding spoilers there's no really choosing one or the other. I'll just have to resort to flipping channels.

I said all that to preface my picks and predictions for All-Star Saturday Night (Sunday Night coming soon)--minus the D-League All-Star Game because I honestly have no idea who any of these players are. Besides Gerald Green, and he doesn't really count.

Haier Shooting Stars
Team Orlando - Jameer Nelson, Marie Ferdinand-Harris and Dennis Scott
Team Atlanta - Jerry Stackhouse, Steve Smith and Lindsey Harding
Team New York - Landry Fields, Cappie Pondexter and Allan Houston
Team Texas - Chandler Parsons, Sophia Young, Kenny Smith

My Prediction - Judging this competition is hit or miss. I think I've picked the winner maybe one time. To put it simply, it feels like the year for Team New York to win it. Jeremy Lin's in the building, baby!


Taco Bell Skills Challenge
Kyrie Irving, Clevland Cavaliers
Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs
Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder
John Wall, Washington Wizards
Deron Williams, New Jersey Nets
Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics

My Prediction - Well, Rajon Rondo still can't really shoot; John Wall is on the Wizards, Russell Westbrook is probably taking this competition too seriously, and Tony Parker, although playing really well this season, has lost a step. That leaves Deron Williams and Kyrie Irving. Kyrie Irving was on fire last night but I'm going with Deron Williams--after all, he is auditioning for the Dwight Howard.

Foot Locker Three-Point Contest
James Jones, Miami Heat
Kevin Love, Minnesota Timberwolves
Ryan Anderson, Orlando Magic
Anthony Morrow, New Jersey Nets
Mario Chalmers, Miami Heat
Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder

My Prediction - Don't ask me to explain this typo, i.e. Kevin Love in the 3-pt contest. I thought it was a mistake or a joke too, but it's not. He's really in there. If this were a team game the Miami Heat would have the best odds (33.3%) of winning But it's not. I think Mario Chalmers (who is having a terrific season) will put on a show, and there's no telling what kind of streak KD35 is going to put on--but I'm going with the host city's own, Ryan Anderson. He's also my pick for Most Improved player, but I think Jeremy Lin has ruined that early season prediction.

Sprite Slam Dunk Contest
Derrick Williams, Minnesota Timberwolves
Paul George, Indiana Pacers
Jeremy Evans, Utah Jazz
Chase Budinger, Houston Rockets

This has to be the least star-studded dunk contest...ever. Not saying it won't be at least relatively impressive since it always is, but I'd love to see a Lebron James v. Blake Griffin v. Dwight Howard v. Nate Robinson (to make it interesting). Either way, this is what we have and I'm taking Jeremy Evans because this is the first I've heard of him.

Thanks for reading.

The Sporacle on FacebookThe Sporacle on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...