expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Saturday, January 14, 2012

2011-12 Picks - NFL - Divisional Playoffs Picks

Last weekend had to be one of the most improbable in recent memory. It was the only incorrect pick I had last weekend. I can recall the Giants beating the Patriots in ’07, the Saints losing to the Seahawks last year and well, then there’s this: Tim Tebow and the Denver Broncos who backed into the playoffs after an amazing run followed by a 3-game losing streak beat the veteran Pittsburgh Steelers on WildCard Weekend. That’s football, baby. I’m writing this on the train in anticipation on what may be one of the better sports weekends in NFL playoff history. Are you ready?

Saturday, January 14 
New Orleans @ San Francisco | 3:30 pm CT 
The Saints are away from the Thunderdome this Saturday. That usually spells doom for this arena-football like, super-charged offense lead by Drew Breesus. They’re facing the number one defense in the NFL and a team who loves to control the clock. Now, as a rule, under these circumstances, I’d go with the home team—but it feels a little bit too much like 2009 for the Saints. Not to mention I haven’t really been sold on the 49ers all year.

My Pick:
 New Orleans Saints

Denver @ New England | 7:00 pm CT 
Everything about this game says to go with my gut. The season that Tebow and the Broncos have had, the bigger storylines it’s provoked (this will turn into at least an ESPN Documentary if the Broncos see it all the way through to the Superbowl), and more. Not to mention the Patriots re-hiring Josh McDaniels to place them firmly in the “bad guy” role for this motion picture. I love Tim Tebow. I was one of his biggest supporters even before he started a game this season. But this is Tom “The Golden Boy” Brady and Bill “The Mastermind” Belichick in Foxboro. This is their chance (maybe one of their last) at redemption. So I’m going to pick with my head over my divided heart on this one and stick with my pre-season Superbowl pick.

My Pick:
 New England Patriots

Sunday, January 15 
Houston @ Baltimore | 12 pm CT 
This game could be surprisingly close considering how impressive the Texans defense has been. It’s crazy to think of how good this team is when they’ve been hampered all year by injury. From a matchup standpoint, Ray Rice and Arian Foster just might neutralize each other with the rushing attack they bring to the table. This game for most people will come down to who makes the fewest mistakes. I think it’ll come down to which QB makes the most plays. Yates, still, is a third string QB. Flacco is highly underrated (although I guess deservingly since he’s underperformed in big moments) but I think this Ravens team has a little Dallas Mavericks in them—and maybe Flacco has a little Dirk Nowitzki.


My Pick: Baltimore Ravens

New York @ Green Bay | 3:30 pm CT
For the optimist, the Game of the Weekend is the Broncos versus the Patriots. For the “realist”, it’s the Giants versus the Packers. The Giants are the Packers of last year; inconsistent throughout, but they find their stride at just the right time. The Packers, even with their high-powered offense, look slightly vulnerable. If the Giants front four can get pressure on the Packers, this game might be just what everyone’s looking for. But since I think this will be a close one, I’m going with my gut (unlike in the DEN @ NE game) and going with Eli and co. I don’t like to admit it sometimes, but he’s going to be one of the greatest ever—and his launch platform was in the 2007 Superbowl.


My Pick: New York Giants


Thanks for reading!

The Sporacle on FacebookThe Sporacle on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...